November 11, 2008

How Much Are You Worth?

Pablo Picasso was sitting quietly at a boulevard cafe in Paris, when his reverie was rudely disturbed by a passing tourist. The tourist gushingly asked Pablo if he would run off a quick sketch for him, promising to pay for the privilege. The legendary artist acquiesced, sketched a portrait of the tourist on the linen napkin conveniently placed on the table. Awed and deeply gratified, the tourist asked “How much?”

Picasso said “Fifty thousand and five dollars.” Awe and gratitude very quickly became conspicious by their absence, as the tourist asked “What? How can you ask that for twenty seconds work?”

Picasso replied “Five dollars for the napkin, the ink and the twenty seconds. Fifty thousand dollars for the forty years of practice that preceded it."

I have been questioned a lot lately as to the value of my work. It's common for people to not think that what an artist (especially a local artist) has to offer is especially valuable, even more so when the work is intangible. I am a actor and comedian. I am a producer. I am a teacher and corporate trainer. Some of the events I produce take months of advance planning and constant communication. Some of the training I offer takes a couple hours or a couple days. Some of the consultation work I do can take just a few minutes. But all of it is possible because of the past 15 years of dedicated thought and preparation.

How much are YOU worth? 

And are you Paid In Full?

No comments: